Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Dead on New Years Chapter 18

I got up before Eric as usual and made coffee while checking my voice-mails. I had an hour and half, maybe 2 hours to myself to relax. Message one, Sam warning me to be careful. Message two, Amelia warning me to be safe. Message three, Alcide telling me to stay close to Eric and be alert. Weird, but he knew I was coming to the trial. Message four, Barry, “Call me. Immediately.” Oh, no, that’s bad.

I dialed and he answered on the second ring, “What’s up Barry? That was a cryptic message.”

“Sookie! Dude. Listen, we’ve had some problems here over night. I need you to have Eric call me as soon as he wakes. No fooling around in the shower or on the breakfast bar or anything you crazy kids normally do first thing. I need him to call me.”

I was a little surprised at how accurate he was about where Eric and I liked to fool around, but I didn’t want to get into that with Barry. “Is everyone okay? Where’s Pam?”

“Everyone is okay, even the humans, which I can’t believe. But I think Pam will probably sleep in a little tonight. The bar‘ll be closed for repairs.” He was sighing and I could imagine him shaking his head, his shaggy hair flying. “It was nuts, Sook. These vamp dudes came in the bar just before closing and messed the place up. Like dirty freakin’ Harry. You should see the surveillance footage. You know how Pam always says, ‘carnage’? That’s what it was. Man, I got this crazy call from Felicia to wake my sorry ass up and get down there, but like what am I gonna do against the vamp mafia or whatever they were? I called 911, cuz it still scares some of the vamps to have the cops show up. Then I called Dr Ludwig and headed out. Carnage Sookie – crazy bloody gooey vamp carnage.”

“So were they after anyone in particular? Or just taking advantage of Eric being gone?”

“That’s what’s crazy; I think they were after David. You know, the bartender that thinks he’s a freakin’ Greek god? I mean, they TORE UP the part of the bar he was working.”

“Is he okay?”

“Yeah, he had a couple of nasty wounds and holes, but with a good sleep in the ground the doc said he’d be okay.”

“Barry, I’m not getting it… holes, like bullet holes? Did they have guns?”

“Did they have guns? What do you think I meant when I said mafia!? They had guns, tire irons, baseball bats, silver chains…”

I interrupted him, he could go on sometimes. “So they weren’t trying to kill the vampires? Just mess up the bar and stir everyone up?”

“I guess. I don’t know what they wanted, but I’m freakin’ scared. Dude, when I got home I like triple locked the doors and shut Thor in the bedroom with me – and that dog scares the crap out of me. I’ll tell you what, that David dude, he can fight though. I think some of the chicks got hurt because they were distracted watching him.”

“Okay, just hang tight. I’ll have Eric call you as soon as he gets up.”

“No hanky panky.”

“Right. I’ll have him call you.” I chuckled to myself, for some reason I think “hanky panky” is one of the dumbest phrases on the planet. And it always reminds me of Long Duck Dong in Sixteen Candles saying, “No yanky my wanky.” I love the 80’s, I can’t help it.

So much for my two hours of relaxing. I could soak in the tub or watch TV, but I wasn’t going to relax, and I had a bad feeling that I was not going to be allowed to go to the trial tonight. I decided I had better get dressed, grab my key and phone and get out of the room before my Viking put me on house arrest.

It was around 2:30 in the afternoon and I hadn’t eaten yet. I knew I was pushing it being out in the open, but I really figured last night was about David, so I tried to stay close to the hotel. I found a little place to order a shrimp po’boy and washed it down with a coke. New Orleans is quite a place to visit, no matter how many times you’ve been here. I didn’t really think about where I was going, but ended up in my favorite place, Jackson Square. If I was going to get a moment of relaxation, it would be here. Between the Mississippi River and the great Cathedral I just sat on a bench and breathed. I felt better after a few minutes, and then I smelled heaven. My sense of smell had definitely improved with the blood Eric and I were sharing. I knew I should head back, but my feet took me straight to the smell - Café Du Monde. Mmmmmm….chicory coffee. I didn’t have room for a beignet after the po’boy, but I always had room for café au lait. I ordered 2 to go and headed back to the hotel.

I set the spare coffee down and made my way into the bedroom. Eric’s cheek was twitching a little bit, I loved to watch him wake up. I sat down on the window seat and sipped the coffee while I waited for him to move a little more and start to stretch. He sensed me, stretched and sighed, “I do not want to know lover.”

“I think you do.”

“No, I do not want to know why you are not naked and in my bed.”

His naked body was seriously, seriously, inviting, but I held it together. “I don’t think we have time for that right now. You need to call Barry as soon as you can function. There was a problem last night at the bar.”

He rubbed his face a little and rolled onto his stomach and looked at me, “A problem involving money or blood, humans or vamps?”

“Blood and vamps. Well, and a few human patrons, but everyone is okay. Call Barry. It sounds like the attack was aimed at your new bartender.”

“The male?”

“Yes, his name is David.”

He huffed a little and rolled for his phone, thinking to himself that running a bar was a gigantic pain in the ass. I went back out in the living area and drank my coffee while reading the newspaper that had been outside our door.

A few minutes later Eric wandered into the living area, still naked, and still on his phone. “Yes, thank you. We’ll see you shortly.” He hung up and sighed as he grabbed a blood and put it in the microwave. “Lover, we’ve had a slight change in plans.”

“Are we going home?”

“That is very much what I would like us to do lover, but no. The King is dismayed about what happened in Shreveport, but he wants me to stay here as planned through tomorrow.”

“He wants you to stay?”

“No, lover. He wants us both to stay. However, he is concerned about the possibility of something happening this evening and wants you to stay at the hotel during the trial. I’m afraid that I have to say that I agree with him.”

I nodded. “I kind of figured after I talked to Barry.”

He glanced at my coffee, “Yet you went into the city for a coffee run?”

I smiled, “Yup, took full advantage of my freedom. I got a sandwich too.”

He laughed and sat next to me on the couch. “Lover, I am sorry. I have been worried about your coming to the trial. There will only be a handful of humans there and I was afraid that some vamps might be upset with your presence, but I was sure we could handle it. With this added threat though, we cannot risk having you there. Ellsey is going to stay with you. You can go to the spa or the gym, or just wait here. It’s up to you as long as you stay in the hotel. It will be the safest place.”

I nodded, it wasn’t really worth fighting about. “So, is the King sorry he was so rude to me last night?”

Eric just looked at me blankly for a second; sometimes he forgot that small slights were stored in the human mind so easily. “I’m sure he is lover,” he tried to cover; “He has been greatly enjoying flaunting his superiority as King here in Louisiana. He meant nothing by it.”

“Sure. So, you’re going to have to go soon, how long will everything take?”

“I will meet everyone at the warehouse in an hour for the final preparations, then Simon will have Booker moved to meet us there. Depending on how many people Felipe has found to speak against the captain, it could take an hour or two. Remember though, there are a few other cases that will go first. The King decided he wanted to host a full tribunal of cases in the area while he was here.”

“Power trip, much?”

“Sookie. You must learn not to say such things.”

“I don’t say them to anyone but you.”

He put his arms around me and laid me back on the couch. “Yes, but you might have a slip of the tongue someday,” he said into my ear as his own tongue began slipping in and around my ear and his hands worked the buttons on my shirt.

“You have to get ready to go.”

“I’m fast, remember?”

“Yes,” I sighed as his tongue found my breast, “But maybe it would be faster if we did this in the shower?”

“Mmmmm…I like the way you think lover.” He pulled me up to standing and finished removing my clothes. He was already naked, so he put me over his shoulder and took me to the bathroom so we could fully appreciate the rain water showerhead and each other.

--------------------------------
Ellsey and I spent a few hours in her room looking over catalogs to order new inventory for her shop. Around 2am there was a knock at the door and I excitedly thought Eric was back, although I couldn’t hear him thinking out there. But no, the door opened and Ellsey was swept into Seamus’ arms and a hot kiss. After a moment I cleared my throat. I didn’t want any “hanky panky” starting until I could get out of there to give them privacy.
Seamus stepped back, still holding her in is arms and his eyes searched for the noise. He found me and grinned, “You are a serious cock block, woman.”

I laughed and followed him as he led everyone toward the couch and sitting area. “So is it over?” I asked.

“All but the crying,” he joked. “Yeah, the tribunal was fast, but nasty. They came up with some new punishments.” He shuddered and continued, “The Viking should be back soon.”

“How was the trial part?”

“The sea dog? Well, his maker showed up and let’s just say that didn’t go over well.”

“His maker showed up to defend him?”

“Ah, no, she wanted to kill him.”

“Felipe?” Ellsey gasped.

“No, Booker. She said she would not be responsible for this or any future infractions that the fool was to make. After a little pushing and shoving to get her to the front and then some yelling and finger pointing it all worked out. Felipe was quite pleased that she was so upset with her child.”

“What did they decide to do to him?” I asked.

He winked, “Super secret vampire politics.”

“They’re killing him? Sending him to the sun?”

“Something like that. I think I’ll let Eric give you the details as he sees fit.”

Just then there was a knock on the door. Eric came in and I met him near the door. He pulled me into his arms and kissed me fiercely. Whoa. Lover, I need you. NOW. Let us go.

I turned to say goodbye and noticed that Seamus had Ellsey on the couch and was beginning to take her clothes off. Okay then. I grabbed my room key and phone and led Eric out of the room. Luckily our room was only at the other end of the hall, because my shirt was shredded by the time we got there.

We were barely inside the door when Eric had me on the floor and was ripping at my clothes. His pants were open and he was inside of me in an instant. He was biting me all over, taking little nips and sips and muttering in that ancient language I still didn’t know. Then he sank his fangs into my jugular and we both came. I was shuddering and Eric was growling as he drank. When we could breathe again he began brushing the hair out of my eyes and gently feathering kisses on my eyelids and nose. He looked me in the eye for a moment and then sat up a little, drawing his fingernail across the tight skin on his chest. I held his eyes as long as I could and then moved forward to drink. He moaned a little and began moving slowly inside of me again. I licked at his wound and matched his slow rhythm. We took our time and I came again as I felt his body tense for his own release.

He carried me to the bed and sighed as he put his arms around me. “Eric, is everything alright?”

“Yes lover. This whole weekend has just reminded me of what my life used to be like and I had to get back to you and know that what we have now is real.”

I held his hands and tightened his arms around me, “It’s real Eric. I’m not going anywhere.”

“Neither am I lover. Neither am I.”

We lay like that for a while, just being together. Finally, I rolled over and faced him. I put my hand on his cheek, “Tell me what happened tonight at the trial.”

He looked me in the eyes and smiled sadly. “What did Seamus say?”

“He told us the Booker’s maker showed up to kill him, but that Felipe wouldn’t let her. He didn’t tell us the outcome of the hearing. He said that it was up to you to give me the details.”

“Yes. Felipe was pleased that Seychelle showed up to reprimand her child, but he would not give her the glory or the power to finish things. After a number of people testified against him, Booker began to look worse and worse. It sounds like he is the one that brought Lars into the plan. The King called him a traitor and a terrorist and announced that he would be sent to meet the sun, chained to a tree in the bayou. That way either the sun or the gators will finish him.”

“That is disgusting.”

“Be glad that I was not assigned to guard him to be sure that he meets his final death. Simon was given that task.”

“Eew – you guys are brutal.” He chuckled a little and leaned over to kiss me. I heard his cell phone start ringing in the other room with our abandoned clothes. Guns N Roses “Sweet Child of Mine” was blaring. I sighed, “That’s Pam’s ring tone. You’d better go get it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment